A strict budget for containers ... oops.

Just as I planned to economize by using plants I already owned, I established a low budget ceiling for containers, hoping to reuse ones I already had.


The half-barrel was non-negotiable -- I couldn't move it if I wanted to. If you don't fancy the super-rustic look, the rusted metal can be cleaned up with a barbecue brush and some mineral oil.

I already had a ceramic container I wanted to use for a water feature. In the winter it holds an over-sized croton, but in summer the croton is released into the wild and the glazed dragon container is available for whatever. A water garden, in this case. (A match made in heaven, since you can't put holes in the bottom of it anyway.)



I let myself buy one large-ish plastic pot in a pretty light green colour but told myself that, for the rest, I would have to make do with existing containers.

It was starting to sound dangerously like a hodgepodge even to me, so I tried to introduce some uniformity by using only black containers for the rest. Maybe that would make my choices seem more intentional -- less "whoops" and more "there!"

I had a lot of black plastic pots left over from other years. I made one of these into a hanging planter:

Creeping jenny, Japanese forest grass and lobelia

And then in an unguarded moment I found myself at Ikea, and what do you know --

HÖSTÖ Hanging planter IKEA Galvanized; protects the product against corrosion. Weather-resistant and durable.
The HÖSTÖ hanging planter, only $6.99. I got the black one, obviously.


And this window box:

HÖSTÖ Flower box with holder IKEA Galvanized for rust resistance. Weather-resistant and durable.
A HÖSTÖ flower box, $12.99.






Now I find myself in the embarrassing position of having too many pots and not enough plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment