The last shall be first

The container gardening course is over and the heat is on, literally. We have a projected high of 36 C today. The downside to container gardening - the only one, as far as I can tell - is the need for constant watering. The fact that my containers are in part-shade helps a bit. Most of my plants seem quite happy in our current blistering, drought-like conditions. Some of them droop mid-day but perk up again later.

My least favourite container has become my most. The half-barrel I planted somewhat dutifully, because it was there, has turned out to be the container I am happiest with. I love to look at it.


When I first planted it, it looked like this:


(And before that, like this:)


So you can see it's filled in quite a bit. I switched out the towering Miscanthus giganteus for purpurescens. It won't grow as tall but promises a beautiful purple colour come fall.

I've come to see why people love tuberous begonia -- it continues to pump out the most spectacular flashy red flowers. I don't pick off the male flowers like some people do -- if it's in bloom, it's all good to me. I'm not sure it shows in the pictures, but the plants seem to spiral downwards in a clockwise direction, from the tallest (the grasses) to the shortest (the potato vine).

Also, the colours complement the container I planted when our class went on a field trip to Bill's Garden Centre. I can assure you this happened entirely by accident.


I love the orange-pink undersides of the coleus leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment